Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Stylised Character Taken Further

If you read my previous character post then you know I wanted to re-do a hair grooming project and focus on speed. Well I took that one step further and I have taken on a complete character project.

The inspiration of this character came from the love of figure skating my girlfriend has. Since I initially just wanted to focus on the hair, I left the design stage until I had a hairstyle I was happy with. Agreed, this is a strange way of working that I have never done before but I think it was the right way to approach it.

You will have seen a lot of posts on this blog concerning hair grooming and you might have noticed a sense of frustration, until now anyway. This time, making the hair couldn't have gone smoother. Admittedly it's a simple hair style with no dynamics needed but I really think this has been my most successful attempt so far. By converting Nurbs into Curves and finally into a Hair System I achieved the look I was going for. 



Once the hair was complete I finished modelling the rest of the body, gave her deep blue eyes and gave her some Sub Surface Scattering. 




So here she is, ready for competition. I modelled a beautiful competition figure skating dress with a double layered skirt, skin coloured tights and detailed figure skates. I finished her off by tweaking the SSS, applying some make-up to the face and adding some simple silver earrings. 




There is always room for improvement. In this case I would love to add crystals to her dress but realistically I don't have the time to carry on modelling when I still have the rigging and the dynamics of the skirt to deal with. Thankfully I can always add the crystals even after all the rigging and skinning are done so hopefully I will have the time to do that. 



No comments:

Post a Comment